Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Direk Joey Reyes and Alden Richards Talk About My Bebe Love Movie, the Aldub Phenomenon, and More



I think one of the most awaited entries in this year's Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) would have to be My Bebe Love. Aside from it starring two well-known personalities in the local movie industry, Vic Sotto and Ai-Ai Delas Alas, the movie also features the phenomenal love team of Alden Richards and Maine "Yaya Dub" Mendoza.

Alden and Direk Joey
I was at the first half of the blogcon for My Bebe Love at Annabel's in Quezon City where Direk Joey and Alden gamely answered questions from bloggers. When asked what makes this movie different from his other past movies, Direk Joey readily replied, "One is that we are packaging a completely different Vic Sotto. This is not an Enteng Vic Sotto but a sophisticated, handsome, gentleman, rich, tasteful Vic Sotto who he really is."

"Secondly, this is the chance for Ai-Ai to reclaim the throne that people say was taken away from her as the Comedy Queen. Thirdly, [Aldub is] not just a love team, they’re a social phenomenon and that, prangkahan na tayo ha, wala akong inaasahang nominations sa Urian, wala akong inaasahang halikan ako ng mga critics, ang inaasam ko lang ay paligayahin ang napakaraming tao ng hindi iniinsulto ang kanilang katalinuhan." That last sentence earned him a lot of cheers.

Real courtship on the way?

Alden, on the other hand, said to expect a different set of jokes than the ones they use on air when they do the kalye-serye on TV. He also added, "Kami ni Maine, whatever we have now, we enjoy the most out of it. Kumbaga, there’s no pressure. Kaya we’re happy working with each other." 

At the moment, "We’re very close. Nakakatuwa. Since 'di ako nakarating sa Walk of Fame ceremony, kinuha n'ya yung award for me. Napakadaling kausap. A very raw, selfless, simple girl na madaling abutin." What's their current status? "Getting to know each other pa rin. It’s just been a month since Tamang Panahon and we only see each other through kalye-serye. And after that, we don’t have a chance to talk. Nagkikita lang kami sa shoots so there's a lot to know pa," he illustrated.

Alden candidly answering questions
When asked if there's a possibility of him courting Maine in real life, the young actor unhesitatingly said, "Of course! She's single, I’m single. May possibilities and we’re very open. Let’s see. Siguro, yung reveal na yun, aside from the fact na aabangan s'ya ng maramihinihintay pa rin namin. That’s what we look forward to, everyday."

But, in case Maine finds another guy, Alden was quick to add, "Well, this is a free country naman. It’s up to her to decide. I have no right to restrain her from what she wants to do with her life. Of course, I’m just here to support her but wala po sa akin yung decision."

Positive feedback about the Aldub tandem

Direk Joey admitted to already being a fan of Maine when she was just dubmashing. "She was impersonating the scream queen, right? I really, really loved her. Tawa ako ng tawa sa mga YouTube [videos] n'ya. Then, suddenly, she has become a second lead sa pelikulang ito. Sabi ng iba, bakit walang workshop, chuva-chuva." 

"Honestly, I don’t believe in workshops. Either you have it or you don’t. You take workshops to hone your talent. If you have no talent, what will you hone? Di ba?" he asked. "She’s a natural. And one of her advantages is that she is a really smart, intelligent girl. Kapag matalino ang artista, alam n'ya ang ginagawa nya," pronounced Direk Joey.

On screen, Direk Joey thinks the couple's chemistry is self-explanatory. "What is Aldub all about? It’s spontaneous combustion. Bakit? This is something totally unplanned and it happened and that’s the basic appeal to the audience. Kasi, maraming love teams ang products ng marketing. It’s all a matter of networks and studios marketing them. But in this case, it’s not. They’re two people with real chemistry together. It’s like Vilma-Boyet noon. You put them together and … you know Dawn and Richard … it’s chemistry, which is not done by workshops. It just happens."

My Bebe Love cast with Direk Joey
Off screen, "They're kids!" Direk Joey described Alden and Maine with a smile. He proceeded to share how much he admires the young man. "I wrote a blog before, in Choking on my Adobo, when they were suddenly on the front pages of the three main dailies one day. I said this is not something that happens [often], having entertainment on the front page on a Sunday. So, sabi ko, this must be something. That’s my biggest hit blog, ever. You know, this guy looked for my number and thanked me. That matters a lot! Because how many people will really go out of their way to thank you? When some people feel they’ve reached a certain level of popularity, the world owes them a favor." 

"When I met Maine, she’s a girl! And that what makes her so appealing. She is reachable. She is identifiable. She is not all glammed up to be special. She is special because she is herself. Put them together, they’re so fun! Ang kukulit ng dalawang ito," he said fondly. 

What to expect about the movie

Although the film is a comedy, Direk Joey described it as "may kurot sa puso. May touching moments dito especially sa relationships between an aunt and her nephew and a daughter and her father. Pero, no heavy drama."

Questioned if there will be a kissing scene between him and Maine, Alden playfully blurted, "Secret!" and mentioned that during the last day of shooting, there was a mandate that no one is allowed to take pictures. 

Direk Joey teased, "Yung in-edit ko kanina, dun sa editing room, nagtitilian ang mga tao. Yun na!

Wishes this Christmas

According to Alden, whatever he's experiencing now is more than what he's ever wished for in the past. "Before, I was praying for jobs, for a few projects that I can work on that can sustain me as an actor – stability and financially-wise," he shared.

"When you have a sincere prayer in your heart, ibibigay talaga sa 'yo," Alden encouraged. "I feel so blessed and appreciated by a lot of people. I couldn’t ask for anything more. Just guidance na lang from the Lord. I have no wish for any material thing kasi even though I don’t ask for it, it comes eh." 

My Bebe Love poster
"So I’m just praying to the Lord that He guides me and the people around me, on the right path and whatever He’s been giving me, sana tuloy-tuloy. I always pray that, 'Lord, wherever you put me, there’s a purpose why I am in this position. Use me to draw people closer to you.' So everything has already been given."

As for his wishes for Maine. "Good health. Kasi hindi s'ya sanay sa body clock ng mga artista; gising sa gabi, tulog sa umaga then segue sa mga shoots. My wish is for her to stay as she is and not change. Since I met her, yun pa rin, walang pagbabago. Whenever we see each other, we goof and joke around. Yun yung isa sa mga traits na gusto ko sa kanya." 

As to making other films, especially one where he and Maine would take the lead roles, Alden simply smiled and said, "Hopefully, there’ll be a next movie after My Bebe Love." 

© Ruth Floresca (Kindly respect intellectual property, please don't copy and paste the whole writeup on other websites. Link back to this post instead. Thank you :) )


No comments: