Saturday, July 10, 2021

How Does a 3-D Mirascope Work?



Okay, geek mode on!  I found this fascinating science toy recently and set it up on the dining table before my youngest son got home. When I showed him how the frog wasn't actually on top of the mirascope, he had the same surprised reaction I had the first time I tried it. The image looked so real but when you try and touch it, you can't!  Watch the video, here.

So, how does this instant illusion maker work? According to the box, the 3-D Mirascope consists of two parabolic mirrors that are facing each other. The top mirror has a hole in the center where the hologram effect takes place. By setting an object in the bottom parabolic mirror, it is suddenly projected as a solid object in the opening of the top mirror.

Super cool, right? If you also want to buy one, you can find it here:    https://amzn.to/3e3hTe6. Enjoy! 

Please leave a comment below to share how your family and friends reacted. It would be a nice party trick don't you think? Also, aside from the frog, what other small stuff were you able to project as a hologram? I'm still looking around our house for another tiny item to try!   


No comments: