Thursday, July 02, 2020

Can You Grow Malunggay / Moringa in a Pot? Yes You Can!



In the Philippines, malunggay are staple greens that we often use for cooking. When we lived in Alabang, we had a huge tree beside the house where it's very convenient to cut stalks upon stalks without worrying about running out of leaves.

August 2018

It was a very different story when we moved to Southern California almost three years ago. When we wanted to cook Tinola, a few stalks of malunggay at the Filipino supermarket would cost the same as, or even more than, two pounds (about a kilo) of chicken. I'm serious! So we'd resort to buying spinach instead because they're cheaper. 

from small to big pot

In late November 2017, my mother-in-law bought us a malunggay seedling for $5.00 at a swap meet where some fellow Pinoys were selling plants. By winter, the leaves were all gone and we were left with just a stick in a pot. Because I could still see some green parts on the main stem, I diligently watered the pot every two days. 

May 2018

Come spring, I was rewarded with tiny buds that eventually grew into branches with leaves. By August 2018 (see topmost photo), we were able to harvest a batch which we happily added to home-cooked Chicken Tinola.    

March vs. May 2020

Fast-forward to my family's move from my sister-in-law's townhouse to our own apartment in November 2018 where we brought the big pot of malunggay with us. Again, it hibernated during the winter but bloomed once more come spring and summer and we were able to harvest two or three times before it stopped growing new leaves in the fall.


It's 2020 now and I'm happy to report that our malunggay tree is still healthy and thriving. We actually had the first harvest recently and the main trunk is slowly recovering to bring out more leaves. Someday, when we finally get to buy a house of our own, I pray that this tree, the very first plant I took care of here in the U.S. would have its own spot in a nice garden and finally planted on the ground :)


3 comments:

I believe said...

I really like malunggay soup and miss it terribly. Happy for you and the malunggay which thrived in even in winter

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

Wow, malunggay is such rarity in the US, but you've patiently nurtured and grown one, and now enjoy your finals with it. Hi, Ruth, praying all's well with you and the family. May the Lord grant your desire to have a place of your own.

Ruth Floresca said...


Hi, Ate Jops! I hope you get to have malunggay soup soon. I think you'll have a better chance of finding them there than me waiting to harvest again from my small tree :)

Thank you, Ate Yay! We are doing well by His grace. And yes, praying that the Lord leads us to our forever home when the right time comes :)