Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Panaderia Pantoja: Serving Heritage Breads Since 1950



I grew up in a small town in Laguna where my siblings and I get to eat hot and freshly baked breads every morning from the bakery located two houses away. I am familiar with biscuits like paborita, jacobina, and biscocho, which my mom sometimes bring to Manila whenever we have family get-togethers. 


Recently, I was finally able to try some of Panaderia Pantoja's products, which evoked fond memories of my childhood. I learned that this bakery originated in Tanauan, Batangas in the 1950's as a family business that offers handmade breads. Eventually, the brand expanded its operations and put up stores in different parts of Batangas, Laguna, and Metro Manila.


I like that their paboritas and jacobinas can be separated into thin flakes. That makes them more fun to eat. Many times, I'd grab a small pack and munch on these biscuits as midnight snacks and partner them with a mug of coffee or chocolate milk while I'm finishing my article deadlines until the wee hours of the morning.


For the health-conscious, you'd enjoy the paborita variant with malunggay. It is very tasty and has become an instant hit with my family. The second pack I brought home disappeared without a trace the other morning :p 


The biscocho, likewise, is a must try! Unlike some of the biscochos I've tried in the past, which were hard to bite on, Panaderia Pantoja's biscocho is soft but crunchy and has the right blend of margarine and sugar flavor. 


If you prefer soft breads, I suggest your try their Malolos Special. This is ensaymada topped with grated cheese and slices of salted eggs. The cheese and eggs perfectly complement the sweet bread such that it does away with the umay factor some people, including myself, get from eating too sweet pastries.


I heard that Panaderia Pantoja's Yema Cake is also a bestseller. I'll make sure to buy that one the next time I pass by one of their branches. 


To know more about this bakery that serves heritage breads, please visit www.panaderiapantoja.com


No comments: