Friday, January 04, 2013

A Step Back in Time at the Aguinaldo Shrine in Kawit, Cavite



I enjoy discovering new things and visiting places I've never been to before. I also like learning more about my country's history. Thus, I gladly accepted the invitation to visit the Aguinaldo Shrine in Kawit, Cavite yesterday. 


Although I've seen the place several times from the highway while traveling to other areas in Cavite, this is the first time I've actually had a chance to go inside and explore history firsthand. 

We arrived in Kawit in the late afternoon. While it's still light outside, some of my blogger friends and I first took time to admire our surroundings and take photos around the large plaza and the areas around the huge house.


The moment I stepped inside the front door, I immediately felt reverence for everything the shrine holds. Somehow, being in the presence of items that have been existing long before I, or my parents, were born was a bit overwhelming. 

There are lots of interesting stuff under glass cases which make it easier to imagine how life was during the Philippines' Spanish and American eras. 


Upstairs, everything seemed to be made of heavy and high quality wood, from the floors, the chairs, the beds, doors, and even ceiling decorations. I was drawn towards the balcony where footages of the declaration of Philippine Independence is always shot for posterity's sake.


Later, Emilio Aguinaldo's great grandson told me that there was no balcony during the actual declaration. It was only added years later. There was only a window then but the spot where we stood earlier is still the same spot where Aguinaldo waved the flag.

The house is huge. There are so many rooms, nooks, and crannies. The master's bedroom even has a door on the floor that leads down to, get this, an indoor swimming pool! 


I forgot to mention that there's also a bowling alley with two lanes on the first floor. Cool, huh?

We also got to climb up to the topmost part of the tower. See that highest parol in the photos? I stood behind that when I tried opening the capiz window trying to look out into the plaza :p


And since I couldn't get a good shot from there, I just looked out the other windows facing other directions. It was windy and cold up there and I would probably be scared if I'm left alone in the tower. 

Since darkness has already crept in, we all went outside just as the Lights and Sounds show was starting. Like the one in Ayala Triangle, this presentation involved lots of Christmas lights that seemed to dance in time with the Christmas songs being played on loudspeakers to be heard by everyone in the plaza. 


One of these days, I'd like to come back to Aguinaldo Shrine with my sons. I'm sure they would also appreciate having a peek at the past that has helped shaped our country's future. 

* To see more photos taken during our tour, please click here


No comments: