Wednesday, November 17, 2010

How Protected is Your Family Online?



I believe that being web-savvy does not equate to being web-wise. There's a difference.

I know several people, including my teens, who easily navigate the World Wide Web and find information they need in seconds. Unfortunately, many of them still get lured to downloading programs or trying out applications that may harm their computers or, worse, compromise their identities, and their families'.


Just look at the dozens of Facebook applications that send out unauthorized posts on the walls of everyone in your contacts list. That is, if you are gullible enough to be tempted to view a supposedly very interesting video, photo, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, I announced a free seminar for teens in an earlier post. Last Saturday, my two teenage sons attended the said seminar. Later, they acknowledged learning a lot of new things about online safety.

Incidentally, my article about the things I also learned during an earlier Web Safety seminar for parents came out that day in Manila Bulletin's Moms & Babies section. You can read the online version of Web Wise here.


*Photo borrowed from the Calgary Public Library blog

No comments: