Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Exploring California: What’s There to See in the Charming Town of Harmony?



Population 18 says the green sign along Highway 1. Wait, what?! I had to do a double take the first time I saw it. Three years later, I still feel that sense of wonder each time we pass by that sign during our summer trips to California’s Central Coast.   

In 2019, my family and I unfortunately didn’t get a chance to explore the Town of Harmony. Early last year, as I was watching a South Korean TV Series entitled The Heirs (also known as The Inheritors), I found myself squinting at the television screen trying to read a building’s name which turned out to be Harmony Valley Creamery Assn.

Who remembers this white building from 
The Inheritors starring Lee Min Ho?

“I think I know where that is!” was my first thought and verified through online search that the scene was indeed filmed in Harmony. It made me more curious to see the town for myself. So, when we went to Cambria a few months later, I made it a point to finally check out the place.

Harmony IS a tiny town where visitors can buy handmade pottery, handblown glass items, other souvenir pieces, and craft ice cream available in various flavors. It has a lot of pretty spots for lovely impromptu shots and also features a small church (see what it looks like inside by watching this video) that offers wedding ceremonies and reception as well as an elopement package! Oh, and yeah, there’s even an option to rent the whole town!

The Town of Harmony, according to a painted wall, grew up around a dairy founded in 1869. Until 1907, the creamery changed hands several times and in those early days, rivalries and feuding among the dairy farmers caused chaos in the valley. When someone got shot dead, a truce was finally called and all residents agreed henceforth to live in harmony, thus the town’s name.

When the dairy business eventually shifted to San Luis Obispo, Harmony Dairy was closed in the late 1950’s. For years, the town was abandoned except for the post office which remained open. In 1972, restoration began to bring back the beauty and vitality of the original Harmony from many years ago.

Sometime last month, my husband and I went back to visit Harmony and brought our sons with us. Like before, we had a nice time strolling around the area and just soaking in the artistic vibe that the pottery and glassworks stores evoke. 

If you happen to be traveling along Highway 1 in the future, you may want to stop by, too, and spend at least half an hour or more there. After all, when would be the next time you’d come across an interesting and historic place with an 18-count population? :)


No comments: