Sunday, September 05, 2010

"Pagbabago" (Changes)



Every time I encounter discussions about life changes, I always think that becoming a mom remains the biggest change that has happened to mine.

I owe a lot to my kids who I am today.  Because of them, I have more reasons to strive harder and become the best wife and mother I could be. Because of them, I learned to speak up against injustices. Because of them, I also keep desiring better things for my country and the world.

When I read about Goldilocks' contest at the Nuffnang website, a lot of memories suddenly rushed in. I remembered the very first Goldilocks cake my husband and I bought together for our firstborn's first birthday. That was a long time ago. Early this year, that same baby boy attended his senior prom and is now a freshman in college.


Three more kids later and we're still buying Goldilocks cakes for our children's birthday celebrations. Here are two more photos, this time of our youngest son celebrating his first birthday with a Goldilocks cake plus a "grown up" picture in one of the media events he attended with me.


For the past seventeen years of marriage, and counting, I just realized how much Goldilocks has been a part of my, my husband's, and our children's lives. We've been buying Goldilocks cakes for birthdays and other celebrations, bringing Goldilocks goodies (brownies, polvoron, ensaymada, cathedral window, etc.) during family outings, and dining in at Goldilocks stores (fresh lumpia, puto and dinuguan, etc.) when we go malling.

In several of Dingdong's TV commercials, he keeps saying, "You're the one Goldilocks!"

Not surprisingly, when it comes to our family, I could honestly say that also holds true :)

4 comments:

Lut said...

Hi, Ruth. What you wrote is so true. Goldilocks has become part of our lives as well. One that goes with all the changes that happened, is happening, and would happen. Nice blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Goldilocks really is part of the Filipino family. :)

hazel garabiles said...

I'm so delighted on how you were able to express the exact feelings we moms are treasuring in every second of being a mom and a wife. The pictures are great!!! that inspired me to make some "photo compare" for my daughters!thanks:)...and yes, they too had goldilocks cake on their 1st bday parties... Now we are crazy over goldilocks ube loaf!

liza b. said...

Goldilocks! We used to live along Shaw Blvd in Mandaluyong. I remember after every supermarket trip to nearby Cherry... my mom would bring us to Goldilocks for their Fresh Lumpia Ubod. I remember the yummy sweet garlicy taste... and I remember being so proud to be eating vegetables and actually liking it. Even to this day, a visit to Goldilocks wouldn't be complete without ordering their uber yummy lumpia ubod.