Saturday, October 06, 2012

Markki Stroem Wows the Crowd During His Grand Album Launch



I first encountered Markki Stroem early last year in Atlantis Production's stage play/musical Next to Normal where he played the boyfriend of Bea Garcia's character. I found him a good singer then and knew he'd be given more chances to shine on stage in the future. 


Being someone who doesn't have time to watch a lot of TV, I haven't been able to follow Markki's career  much after that but heard recently that he's finally coming up with a debut album that features several songs he composed and carries his brand of unique musicality. 

When Cornerstone Talent Management Center invited me to catch Markki's grand album launch last night in Bonifacio High Street hosted by the lovely  DJ Carla of Magic 89.9, I decided to go and see how this talented young man has been doing. Good thing the venue is near R.O.X. so I got to squeeze in a couple of climbs on Power Up's wall before the show started :)


I know people have been raving about Markki's rendition of Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe but I haven't had the chance to hear it until last night -- live. He's really good! I also like his other songs although I've yet to listen to them again several times to decide which ones I like best.

Markki is very engaging on stage. And he didn't forget to acknowledge his loyal fans who came to hear him sing. One even came all the way from Dumaguete! (or was it Dagupan? :p) DJ Lamar served as the event's opening act while rock princess Yeng Constantino and Markki did a beautiful duet with Gotye's Somebody That I Used to Know.  


Audiences got to have an extra treat when comedienne and singer Ethel Booba was cajoled by Markki to also come up on stage to sing a duet with him. They sang Adele's Someone Like You and we marveled at the two singers' wonderful blending of voices. We even had some good laughs in between because Ethel was making a lot of funny side comments.

My husband, who I left climbing at R.O.X., followed me later and caught Markki singing his last song, a medley of popular hits. Hubby, who's a jazz aficionado and who's got better ears for music that I do, said he likes Markki's voice texture and found him really good. I'm glad I was given a copy of the album, Thousands of Pieces. We are looking forward to hearing all the songs at home.


I also have to say I'm happy to know that Markki will be acting on stage again (as Joe Jonas' character) in Repertory Philippines' Camp Rock which will have its run before the year ends. I would definitely see it with my kids :)

Congratulations Markki! May you be blessed with many songs, succeeding albums, and more projects in the coming days :)

*To see more photos taken during the event, please click here.


No comments: