Sunday, September 18, 2011

Restaurant Review: Old Vine in Eastwood Mall



“How charming!” was my very first thought as I walked inside the Old Vine Grille in Eastwood Mall. I gazed in delight at the tastefully furnished interior that includes beautiful paintings and prints. Hands down, this is one restaurant that would instantly make you feel very welcome.


My friends and I were to have dinner on the long table inside the function room. This room has sliding doors that are ideal if you want privacy in case you’re planning to hold a meeting or conference with clients and colleagues.
 
We started our gastronomic journey that night with orders of various fruit shakes. The presentations are so lovely!


Then, we were served the Tessie Tomas Salad which has officially become my favorite salad to date. The salad was called thus because the famous actress was said to personally request the chef to make it for her and the name stuck. This is a combination of roasted prawns, marinated salmon, and roasted shiitake mushrooms with mesclun salad in a creamy balsamic dressing. Yummy! Don’t ever visit Old Vine without ordering this one.

Tessie Tomas Salad - P350 (small), P680 (big)

We also tried the Pan Fried Foie Gras Salad dressed with raspberry honey sauce and apple ragout. The foie gras has this melt-in-your-mouth quality although the taste will require some getting used to especially if you’re not fond of eating liver. Fortunately, I am.

Foie Gras Salad - P750 (small), P1150 (big)

Next, we sampled the Larry and Mau’s Creations (concocted by owners Mr. Larry Cortez and executive chef Mauro Arjona Jr) that are good to share. All of the dishes are great-tasting but, among these, my favorite would have to be the Steak Tagalog which perfectly complements my Filipino taste buds.

Steak and Escargot - P620

Steak and Shrimp - P695

Steak Tagalog - P495

I love the Baby Back Ribs American Favorite Barbecue. The flavor is just right and the meat is really tender and easily detaches from the bone.

Baby Back Ribs Barbecue - P495

I am not that fond of lamb though so I only took a small bite of the Lamb Shank Pinot Noir. Fans of this meat would probably enjoy it more.

 Lamb Shank - P550

What’s funny during that night was that after I took a photo of the Baked Cream Dory, it disappeared! :p I didn’t get to taste it so I plan to order one the next time we visit Old Vine.

Cream Dory - P450

Other dishes we sampled were the Old Vine Pasta, Beef Salpicao Fried Rice, and Stir Fried Seafood Paella. Each smelled heavenly and I remember tasting each but can’t choose which one I like best. Perhaps I’ll get to decide when we eat there again.

Old Vine Pasta - P285 (small), P420 (big)

Beef Salpicao Rice - P230 (small), P395 (small)

Paella - P230 (small), P430 (big)

Among the three desserts though, I fell in love with the Ube Cheesecake Brulee. I think I’ll always remain a cheesecake aficionado especially after tasting that one. Despite the already rather full stomach, I was the one to take that last few spoonfuls off the plate because it is superbly delicious!

Ube Cheesecake Brulee - P130

Banana-Langka Crepe Samurai - P120

Belgian Chocolate Fondue - P350

Visit Old Vine Grille either in Eastwood or the Venice Piazza in McKinley Hill. There, you’ll get value-for-money dining as you savor the excellent ambiance, efficient service, and great dishes at affordable prices. They also accept catering service for all occasions.

For more info, log on to www.chefsquartergroup.com or call 7065573 for the Eastwood branch and 8364966 for the Venice Piazza branch. 


1 comment:

aileenS. said...

thank you for the restaurant feature. ginutom tuloy ako. will check it out when we go to eastwood. bon appetit!