Friday, September 05, 2014

Celebrate Grandparents' Day with #YoLolo & #YoLola at SM Supermalls!



I was fortunate to have known all four of my grandparents while I was growing up. My maternal grannies lived with us and my siblings and I had them as our caregivers while our parents are at work during weekdays. 

one-year-old me with my parents, grandparents, and uncle
On Sundays, we'd visit my father's mom after church and she'll cook delicious lunches for us. At the time, my paternal grandpa was working abroad. We'd also spend most Christmas and New Year's eves with my paternal grandma then go home to our house the next day to be with my other grandparents.  

four generations: me, my mom, and paternal grandmother
with my firstborn
I'm glad that all my four kids also got to know their grandparents, especially my father and father-in-law before they passed away in 1999 and 2000. They were both doting lolos to their apos. It's great that my kids still have their lolas to spoil them as often as possible. 

my mother-in-law proudly posing with all her grandchildren
Grandparents are often the adults who say yes when our moms and dads say no. They remember birthdays and cook some of the best meals. In fact, I still miss some of my two grandmas' signature dishes that only they could cook really well. 

my parents with my 3rd son
The presence of grandparents provides that sense of comfort and belongingness because they are a big part of every family's history. They represent our roots and they remind us acutely of home. It's just fitting that Grandparents' Day was declared just for them.

my in-laws with my firstborn son
This coming September 7, make grandparents feel loved, the way they love you. SM Supermalls believes in family values and lines up special treats to honor grannies during their special day. After all, while we are all busy growing up, they were growing old. So it's important to give them our time while they are still with us.


Here are activities you may want to do when you bring lolo and lola to an SM Supermall:

1. Attend mass where there will be a special blessing for grannies after the ceremony. Say your prayers as a family before you go shopping or dining out, to thank God for giving you such loving elders in your life. Click here for the list of SM malls that will hold a mass for Grandparents' Day.


2. Spoil lolo and lola by bringing them to any SM mall from August 25 to September 7 because senior citizens will get special gifts and discounts from certain shops, restaurants, and the SM Foodcourt.

3. Shop at the SM Store on September 7 because senior citizens will get a 10% discount for a minimum P1,000 single-receipt purchase of any regular-priced item, when they present their senior citizen card with their SM Advantage card. Steer them to the priority checkout lane to make shopping easier for them.


4. Preserve memories with your grandparents by taking a picture and leaving a message on the dedication and photo walls located in SM malls. Make sure you also post a cool photo of you and your grandparents on Instagram using the hashtags #YOLOLO or #YOLOLA and get to win P5,000 worth of GCs!

5. Dance and party with lolo and lola while musicians perform tunes from the 50s and 60s in SM malls. This sounds really, really fun!


Remember, #YoLolo and #YoLola will only live once. So grab this chance to honor them and make them happy on the day that's reserved specially for them. Have an amazing time at the SM mall nearest you! Find out more about the SM Supermalls' Grandparents Day activities by visiting this link: http://bit.ly/SMGrandparentsDay.


No comments: