Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Meet Lily Cole ... The Body Shop's New Brand Advocate



If you happened to pass by any of The Body Shop branches in recent weeks, it's very likely that you've seen this display:


Does the girl in the poster look familiar? If you watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and the more recent Snow White and The Huntsman movie, you'll remember her as the girl whose youth got sucked out of her by the evil queen. But more than being an actress, I found out that Lily Cole is also a model and ... get this ... an activist!

She is currently The Body Shop's first ever global brand advocate who is described as refreshingly honest, human, and upfront about how she thinks the world could be a better place. Here's sharing a short interview from a press release I received where Lily offers a glimpse into what makes her tick and why has chosen to endorse The Body Shop's cruelty-free make-up. I'm posting the Q and A here because her answers are really inspiring.


Why did you decide to become a global advocate for The Body Shop? I have long been an advocate of the potential of using business and consumer power to cause positive change. The Body Shop takes a responsible attitude to people and the environment, and it feels amazing to be supporting a brand who are pioneers in that way of working.

How do you feel that the current generation's views of beauty are changing?I feel like people are questioning superficial values and looking for real value instead. True beauty comes from within, and I feel that more and more people are beginning to realise that.


What does beauty with heart mean to you? There is nothing more attractive than someone with a beautiful heart - it just shines out. It is so contradictory to seek external beauty through products at the cost of other living beings. To me, beauty with heart means trying to achieve beauty in a way that is harmonious with your inner values.

How has The Body Shop inspired you to think differently about beauty? The fact that The Body Shop was selling Henna when I was growing up definitely suggested that red hair was cool - before I was wise enough to recognise that myself! There is a natural quality to The Body Shop approach which places its emphasis on enhancing – rather than masking people’s faces!


How do your personal values compare with the five core values of The Body Shop? The Body Shop has five distinct Values which have defined and shaped it from its very beginning, and which I also identify with. I am still learning and growing, and discovering what is important to me is an educational and very personal process. I’m involved with the humanitarian and environmental causes that are important to me because I believe that our planet and the people who live on it are incredibly special. If I can help inspire people in some small way to think about the world they live in and how they can make it a better
place through their own personal actions and choices, then that makes me happy. This is just one of the reasons why I am working alongside The Body Shop.

How do you live your values on a daily level? My personal values boil down to my intention: the intention to be aware, to be kind, to be honest, to make informed choices. The intention is everything, though the reality will inevitably sometimes fall short. No one is perfect!


What inspired your interest in activism?All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing” - Edmund Burke. I used to have that quote on my bedroom door growing up! I’m not saying I’m a good man, but I think as soon as you are aware of injustices you have a responsibility to try and address them... so I guess some of it is inspired by some sort of guilt complex!

How can other people get involved? I am still constantly trying to find and know my own truth, to be fearless. I’m not sure there is ever an end to this. Being strong enough to stand within that position of difference and honoring your voice is the first step towards activism. I believe it’s the small steps that matter.

What else are you currently working on?I have three films coming out this year, and am working on a very exciting, fairly radical, project in the social media space.


I love browsing all the nice stuff at The Body Shop. They have some of the loveliest displays in the malls. Recently, my friends and I dropped by the Mall of Asia branch and found it really spacious. Check out more of the colorful photos I took there in this album

If you need good quality beauty and skin care products, do check out the offerings at The Body Shop. I like their body sprays, body butters, mineral makeup, and liquid bath soaps among others. Here's one of my reviews featuring The Body Shop's Strawberry body care range. All products come in a wide range of colors and scents that will tickle your senses and may even entice you to buy more than what you originally planned to purchase :)


No comments: