On Loving Our Native Tongue and Embracing One's Identity



It is ironic that an article degrading the Filipino language came out this month because August, after all, is when we celebrate Buwan ng Wika (Language Month) in the Philippines.

I will no longer post the link of the said writeup here because the writer already earned the thousands of hits he was probably aiming for after coming up with such controversial statements. I just want to say my piece because I am a parent who simply wants her children to grow up  proud of being Filipino. We speak Tagalog at home; we watch good quality Filipino movies, concerts, and plays; and I am glad that my boys like listening to OPM (Original Pilipino Music) such that they have their own favorite Filipino bands and singers.

Photo borrowed from www.globalfirepower.com

I understand that there are parents who prefer to have their kids speak in English all the time because they believe that, by doing so, their offspring will have more chances of a better future. Still, I do hope that practice doesn't result to more children losing their love for our motherland and totally turning their backs on the Filipino language.

Here's sharing something I wrote for the Smart Super Women blog. Language of the Heart is about promoting Filipino language literacy to one's children. I hope many who will read it would find the tips useful. May we not let our children forget where they came from else they completely lose their identity. 

On another note, do read this very eloquent piece by a fellow writer and good friend of mine, Inez Ponce de Leon, who wrote a letter to the now infamous James Soriano, the person I was talking about at the beginning of this post. I hope he gets to read that one!


NewerStories OlderStories Home
Post a Comment