Monday, May 30, 2011

We Walked/Ran for Food During Walk the World Pilipinas!



I am not a runner but my hubby is. He enjoys pounding the pavement every night for several kilometers as long as it doesn't rain heavily. Fortunately, there's a good area in Filinvest Alabang where runners can exercise without fear of getting hit by reckless drivers.

When I attended the press con of Walk the World Pilipinas early this month, I immediately decided there and then that my family will get involved in this worthwhile advocacy. The kids and I could join the 2km walk while hubby would run the 5k race. He was enthusiastic about the idea when I told him and supported me in convincing the kids that it would be a great activity for the whole family. 


We arrived at SM MOA bright and early last Sunday. It was awesome to see so many people wearing the same shirts and feeling the same enthusiasm as we do. Although the activities started past 6am instead of 5am, participants lined up cheerfully in the respective walk/run categories. The kids and I spent the next hour strolling around MOA together with hundreds of other walkers. 


It was my hubby's first official race and he said it felt great. Check him out at the video uploaded by orangemagazinetv.com :)



I'd say one of the best things about this activity is seeing my son with special needs enjoy the morning thoroughly. He was very attentive the whole time, observing everything he sees. He only cried when we got in the car to leave. As for my other boys, who were very reluctant to join initially, all three conceded that they also enjoyed themselves. 

I am just thankful that we had that day to remember as a time we did something special as a family.

No comments: