Wednesday, March 16, 2005



A Matter of Perspective

In my work as a freelance writer, I encounter different kinds of people when I need to interview experts and even laymen for different topics. I have met very nice doctors, professors, housewives, salesmen etc. before but also had my share of the undesirable ones. I particularly hate it when secretaries give me the runaround and have me wait on the line for five minutes or more (when I am calling long distance!) or have me call back (again and again) before they connect me to their bosses.

Two weeks ago, I had one of my worst experiences in dealing with a resource person. I won’t go into details but can say that her actions were spiteful without due merit despite my polite explanation and offer of reparation. Needless to say, that incident brought on some heartaches. I really dislike it when some people become so illogical that they close their minds to reason. I shared the experience with some writer friends and they gave me sound advice (plus much needed consolation) on how to deal with something like that if I encounter it again in the future.

A few days after the bad event, I went to see another resource person to interview for another article. She was one of the nicest persons I got to talk to! With her pretty face, jovial nature and genuine willingness to share her knowledge, this doctor came out tops in my list of good people.

And I came full circle. Because I was again reminded that not all people will act the way we expect or want them to. We just have to take things as they come, good or bad, and have that resilience to move on. And I did.

No comments: